Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Deciding on the Credits' font

I had to redo the credits over and over again. Firstly, the original font that I use as a guide line does not look professional enough. A few of my friends commented that it is out of style and very old fashioned - doesn't suit my theme. Therefore, my teacher advised me to try and write my own font. I browsed through several tutorials on YouTube as well as looked through some of my piers' works. Below is the tutorial I used:



Instead of drawing on a white board, I used Adobe Photoshop and Wacom Pad instead. This makes it easier to transfer the files onto Premiere Pro without having to take a video of the writings and then uploading it onto Dropbox.



However, when my father got home that day, he commented that the font I drew was funny and was 'crappy'. He said it looked as if I didn't put my heart into it. I cried after hearing that, since I've spent the whole day making (drawing) those hundred flickering credits and single-handedly put them in Premiere Pro frame by frame. He said I could improve it by downloading a more universal font. He advised Times New Romans... But to be honest, I'm sick of using that font. 

He also told me that the flickering made the words harder to read. I cried even harder because I sacrificed all of my free time that day to work on the animation. After seeing me cry, my dad said "Choose whether you want a professional A-grade look, or an F because of your 'chicken-foot-grade' hand written credits?". He was angry for a while that evening because he thought that I don't handle well with critiques and is a weakling, taught me a lesson that I can't always follow what I think is good if I am going to have a job in the media field.

(My original credits footage >>> Before changed)

But then I told him that this is my coursework, and that I can't manage to change everything according to what people around me want. My friends don't like the Times New Romans font, so I changed it. My teacher wants a font that is hand written by me, so I drew them out. Now my Dad wants me to go backwards to Times New Romans again? I stood my ground an said no.


He stormed out of the room. Then came back in after I took my shower and was getting ready for bed. He said, "Fine then, don't change it, but write them in a more readable handwriting. It looks pretty much like a music video at the moment.". Therefore, I still need to redraw some of the credits. 
He said he was sorry - that he got worked up after seeing my friends' works. He said that he saw his younger self in me, and tried to take control of my coursework. He got a Media degree in university. Despite that, he always tells me how bad the graduates' living condition and how hard the work loads were... However, my mother had told me once that he actually really loves it. He loves the media job, but he chose to keep it inside and follow what his father told him to do. I think he likes it too, for this is the first time in my life that he outwardly shows that he's proud of me - and my school work.

No comments:

Post a Comment