Sunday, January 15, 2017

Preparing for coursework - DAY 17 - Editing the Apartment scene


I started editing the moment I got home. First, I did the rough cuts of all the scenes. The scene where Scott flips through his sketchbook was made frantic by the three camera shots.




The more cuts there are, the more it makes the scene look chaotic and panicky, very much alike when you feel nervous and your eyes dart around.

For the sound effects, I deleted all the tracks from the videos and downloaded royalty free soundtracks from YouTube instead. This is to reduce the noise and the ambient sounds (AC winds) and other unnecessary echoes.

LAST SCENE




As for the last scene that serves as the end of the credits, I found a video clip I took earlier along the year from the top of the Shanghai Pearl tower. It shows a wide view of the city. I think that it could  be the first scene of the film where the real movie actually start.  I got this idea from the opening sequence of  'Zodiac'. By showing a city in a completely different country implies that this particular murder case does not stop in Bangkok, or Southeast Asia, but throughout the continent where special elite forces (helicopter sounds show that it has to be a figure or group of authority ready to do 'business') are also trying to solve the case.

(Time indicator pic)

I added in the time indicator in both the apartment scene and the Shanghai scene to inform the viewers that these two events happen at the same time.

*NOTE THAT THE LAST SCENE WHERE IT CUTS TO THE MOVIE MIGHT NOT BE INCLUDED IN THE FINAL PROJECT FOR IT WAS SUDDENLY CUT AND REALLY DOES NOT HAVE A NECESSARY LINK TO THE DREAM SEQUENCE OR THE APARTMENT SCENE.*


Below is the outcome of my rough (first draft) editing in 360p. My teacher said that the sequence could be refined by noting the quality of the sound effects (the gun part) and by cutting out the millisecond when my brother looks at the camera. Also, it would be much clearer to the viewers to know that the 'spades' have an important part in capturing the murderer if I add in some more details onto the scene when Victor realized their connections. Another tiny part he advised was the scene where it shows the distance between Victor and Scott in a over the shoulder shot. It is more interesting than the one after.





No comments:

Post a Comment