Thursday, January 5, 2017

Preparing for Coursework - DAY 9 - Filming the 'Dream' sequence


At first, I thought that finding a location for this part of the opening would be fairly easy because all it is is a dark place with white walls. However, it took me quite a while to find the perfect place, for white walls does not go on forever, and we would eventually be greeted by a picture frame or couch every once in a while.

In the end, we chose to go downstairs into my mother's showroom. There is a blank wall that separated the office with the main showroom. We used that for one of the scenes. We also used an alley of doors in the showroom. This reinforces the idea of realism in a dream where your thoughts are not really logical. The doors represents the many paths the main character could take to reach the final conclusion. Each door is different from the other, however, the main character chose to open the one at the end of the corridor.

(A shock expression presented by the silhouette)


(A "I'm daring to go" gesture)

(Finding an unexpected door)


(My mother standing next to a glass door)


I was the one in charge of the camera work. We tried both panning and hand held techniques. The hand held one was chosen for the editing process. The camera slowly follows the character's step into the darkness, creating tension. It is more effective than a panning camera when all the voices are getting louder and more violent. My mother strongly forbid me to draw any symbols on the wall, therefore, we didn't film the symbol scene. I fixed this problem by changing the symbol to match the Killer's name; "The Ace" and slipped in a clue during the editing process.


(Walking through my mother's showroom at night)


(Briefing my brother over about what and how he needs to act)

(Hand Held shot)

After collecting the scenes, I moved onto filming the other 'layers' of things the main character sees in his dream other than the doors and the walls. I asked my dad whether or not we can borrow his bullets, but he was too happy to only give us what we asked for. My dad volunteered to be the killer in my opening and we filmed his 'weapons' with much caution and with my parents close by.

(We used the studio lights in my father's working room as light sources and we tried using the police signal light as an experiment. I told my poppa that there should not be police lights, because the killer is no where near the police or else he would have been captured. My dad simply agrees, but still suggested that maybe the killer is closer than he seems to be?)

(Poppa warning me not to touch his knife because it is very dangerous)

(Trying out different iso)

(Only poppa can touch them.)


No comments:

Post a Comment