Monday, January 16, 2017

Preparing for coursework - DAY 18 - Deciding on the Title name

One of the most exciting steps into creating a successful film is to think of the right title that grabs the audiences' attention even before seeing the trailer or the opening.






I did a little research on how titles conventions work and came up with some ideas of my own.

I know that my story revolves around the idea of dreaming and reality, so as crime. Therefore, I did a vocabulary research on words that have relations with the topic area.




Originally, I wanted my the title to be 'Mirage', for the main protagonists will have to go through several layers of illusions before being able to capture the murderer. However, It does not really relates why I have 'the cards' as the antagonist's symbol. In films such as the Zodiac and 7ven, the titles are made to match the characteristics of the murderer.

I then did a research on 'The Ace of Spades', the murderer's main symbol. Below are what I found of the card, as it is interpreted in dreams:





The Ace of Spades represents Death. This matches the theme of my film. Calling himself the Ace, but leaves Spade cards on the bodies of his victims relates how the murderer warns off the polices and investigators not to interfere. Not only that, But as stated in the dream interpretation website, seeing the Ace of Spades in a dream can represent the ending of something old and the beginning of something new. Scott, in this case, develops through the story as a troubled child into being a confident optimistic boy in the end where people notice him as a part of their society as he find who he really is (as in coming of age). It's the death of his old way of life and a birth to a new one. The same goes with Victor, Spades cards indicate troubling times in the future. This prediction is well greeted by the struggle to capture the murderer for the rest of the story and the things he needs to go through.

Therefore, I decided that the title of this film should be

"ACE OF SPADES"


No comments:

Post a Comment